If you are logged in, you can click the white circle on the right side of each tab to check the completed item off your list.

Reset Checklist

Apply for Graduation

Before you can graduate you will have to officially apply for graduation by the appropriate graduation deadlines.  You should apply for the graduation date that coincides with the time when you anticipate all your coursework will be completed.


  1. Your ecclesiastical endorsement status will be listed on the application. If you don't have an active endorsement (or it will expire before the date you plan to graduate) you will need to request a new endorsement.
  2. The name you put on your graduation application is the name that will appear on your diploma.
  3. Undergraduate students will be charged a $15 fee in order to apply for graduation.
  4. Once you submit the online application, you will need to contact your individual college advisement center to finish the graduation application process. Click the do it link on the 'find academic advisement' task below for contact info for your advisement center.
  5. You will be notified of the status of your graduation application via email.

Click the Do It link on the 'Apply for Graduation' task below to submit the online graduation application.


Diplomas will be mailed 3-6 weeks after graduation to the mailing address listed in myBYU. If your mailing address needs to be updated, make the necessary corrections by clicking the do it link on the 'update my personal information' task below. Changes to your mailing address need to be made no later than 2 weeks after graduation.

Diploma Name

The name that will appear on your diploma is the name you entered on the online graduation application, and is not necessarily the name on your university record. Contact the Graduation Office (801-422-7675) to make changes to the name on your diploma.


  1. A diploma will not be ordered for students who have a financial hold on their records. Once the hold has been cleared, contact the Registrar's Office so your diploma can be sent.
  2. A diploma cover will be given to you when you walk at your convocation ceremony. If you don't walk,  contact the Registrar's Office to receive your diploma cover.
  3. To check the status of your diploma go to: https://www.michaelsutter.com/byu.

Order Cap & Gown and Announcements

The BYU Alumni Association works with the BYU Bookstore and Herff Jones Company to offer competitive prices on graduation apparel and announcements. Prices are at or below national averages.

Cap & Gown

Pre-order your cap and gown online or at the Grad Fair and save $10. Students who order early will ensure they get the right gown size/hood color for graduation.  

  • Click here for more details about ordering your cap and gown (if the information for the graduation you are applying for isn't available, check back at a later date), or click here to start your order.

Graduation Announcements

Pre-order your personalized graduation announcements online or at the Grad Fair and save $10.

  • Click here to start your order. If you don't need personalized announcements, you can purchase generic graduation announcements at the BYU Store.

Order A Transcript

If you're applying for graduate school or need a transcript for other reasons, you can easily order one online.  Click the do it link on the 'order a transcript' task below to begin the process.


  1. Most requests for electronic transcripts are processed within minutes, and hard copy requests have a 3–5 day processing time. Options for overnight shipping are available at extra cost.
  2. Make sure you provide a complete and accurate address or email address, because your transcripts will be sent to the information you provide.
  3. Electronic transcripts are delivered in a PDF file format and are meant to be viewed electronically within Adobe Reader. If printed, "Copy of Certified PDF" will be displayed across the transcript.


  • Electronic Copy: $5.00 each (certified PDF)
  • Hard Copy: $6.00 each


Usually you are required to enroll in 14 credits (fall/winter) in order to receive your BYU scholarship. However, if you need to take fewer credits during your final semester before graduation there is still a way you can receive your scholarship.

Click the do it link on the 'download scholarship contract' task below. Print the contract and fill it out according to your situation. Turn the contract in to OneStop Student Services (ASB Lobby).


  1. Scholarship contracts are not required during Spring-Summer because you are only required to enroll in .5 (half) credits in order to receive your scholarship.
  2. Scholarships will be prorated to the number of credit hours you are enrolled.
  3. Submit your scholarship contract before the semester starts to ensure timely posting of your scholarship.

Pay All Charges on your Account

It's important to take care of any unpaid charges on your My Financial Center in order to prevent issues with collection agencies and collection fees. Click the Do it link on the 'Pay Account Charges' task below to check for and pay unpaid charges.

Holds will be placed on your account if there are outstanding charges on your account. When all outstanding balances have been paid in full, the holds will automatically be removed (allow up to 30 minutes for hold to be released).

You will not be able to receive your diploma if there are any holds on your account.

If you pay your charges and resolve holds after diplomas have been ordered (usually 2-3 weeks after graduation), you will need to contact the Registrar's Office (801-422-2631) so they know to include your diploma in the next order they place. 

Financial Aid Exit Counseling

If you received student loans during your schooling at BYU, now is the time to start considering how you are going to repay your loans. Contact your lender directly about how and when you will go into repayment. Your lender can estimate what your monthly loan payments will be.

Stafford Loan exit counseling will also help you prepare for the next step with your loans.

Remember to stay in touch with your lender regarding changes in address. Your commitment to pay back these loans doesn't go away until they are repaid!

Housing, On-Campus Single

If you are living on campus and will be graduating during your agreement period, you will need to petition to be released. Click here to be redirected to the on-campus housing page. Under the Single Housing tab click "Petition for Agreement Release."

Housing, On-Campus Family

If you live in Student Family Housing, you will need to submit a termination notice 30 days before you plan to leave. Click the do it link on the 'login to my housing account' task below, then under the Family Housing tab click "Housing Agreement". On your agreement page click on “Submit a Termination Notice.”

Students who are graduating will need to move out by the appropriate move out deadlines.

Click here for move out instructions.

Housing, Off-Campus

Graduating students who plan on leaving their current residence before their contract ends should give their landlord a 120 days written notice prior to graduating. Below is an excerpt from the BYU Student-Landlord Rental Agreement.

"(D) If, at any time during the term of the contract, the student graduates from BYU or is required to do an internship for graduation which necessitates leaving the area, the student may terminate with 120 days written notice and shall forfeit rental deposit and legal deductions. After receiving the 120 day written notice the Landlord may at the end of any semester, relet the rental space and thus relieve the student of any further obligation under this Agreement or continue to collect rents for the full duration of the 120 days. The student's rent obligation continues 120 days from the date written notice is given to the landlord."

Also contained in the BYU Student-Landlord Rental Agreement is: “(E) After student gives notice of his or her intent to vacate the property, if the student or landlord finds a suitable substitute student who executes a new rental Agreement with the landlord, the student may terminate without penalty or further contractual obligation.”

You can read the full rental agreement by visiting the Off-Campus Housing website. 

Attend Commencement & Convocation


  • University Commencement is a ceremony where degrees are conferred on all graduates. Commencement is held in the Marriott Center, and family and friends are invited to attend (no tickets required).
  • Click the do it link on the 'view commencement schedule' below for a schedule of events and other information.


  • Each college holds their own convocation the day after commencement. The college dean presides over the convocation, and each graduate is recognized by name and appears on stage. Attendance is encouraged, but not required.
  • Click the do it link on the 'view convocation schedule' task below for a schedule of events and other information.