Congratulations on your admission to BYU! BYU OneStop is your sidekick for managing your student account and payments, scholarships, financial aid, registration, and admissions. This checklist will help you get started as a newly admitted student at BYU. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to never miss a deadline.

An email from International Student and Scholar Services with information about the Form I-20 will be sent to you shortly. Please pay attention to the directions and deadlines in this email. Registration holds have been placed on your account until enrollment requirements are met. Failure to meet these enrollment requirements may result in your admission being rescinded.

If you are logged in, you can click the white circle on the right side of each tab to check the completed item off your list.

Reset Checklist

Accept or Decline Admission

New students must indicate their intention to accept or decline admission by the commitment deadline. Click the do it link on the ‘Accept or Decline Admission’ task to indicate your decision. Making us aware of your decision ensures registration and other new student services will be activated in your behalf. If you change your mind about your decision to attend, you can return to your decision screen and update your response.

Commitment Deadlines

Semester/TermCommitment Deadline
SpringMarch 15
SummerMay 1
FallJuly 1
WinterNovember 15

Inability to Attend Admitted Semester or Term

You must attend the semester or term for which you have been admitted. Failure to do so will result in a loss of registration eligibility, meaning that you will need to reapply. As it is increasingly competitive to get admitted to BYU, a different decision may result. We strongly recommend that you attend the semester for which you have been admitted.

If you find that you cannot attend, please drop all classes as soon as possible to avoid tuition and other charges, and to make classes available for other students wishing to enroll.

Exception: If you are unable to attend the semester you've been admitted due to a mission call, please go to the 'Missionary Deferment' item in this checklist and follow those instructions.

Missionary Deferment

Contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office at (801) 422-2695 for rules and regulations about deferring for a mission.

Once you have made contact with International Student and Scholar Services, review the 'OneStop Missionary Checklist' to submit the deferment and for other important information. 

Complete Enrollment Requirements: Obtain a Form I-20

In order to obtain your Form I-20 you are required to submit the following documents to the BYU International Student and Scholar Services website, You will receive an email from BYU International Student and Scholar Services with more detailed instructions.

1. Submit Admissions I-20 eForm

In order to complete the required eForm you need to do the following:

a. Pay the $4000 USD international student deposit by following the instructions in the eForm on ist.byu.eduClick here to read more about what the international student deposit is used for.
b. Print the Affidavit of Support form and have your sponsor complete the form.
c. Provide the most recent copy of your and your sponsor's (if applicable) bank statement(s).
d. Submit the Affidavit of Support form and bank statement(s) at Login to the eForm Home Page and follow the instructions to submit the form and bank statements.

2. SEVIS Record 

If you are transferring from another US institution you will need to transfer your SEVIS record from your current institution to BYU.

a. Print the International Student Transfer Form.
b. Complete the top half of the form and take it to the Designated School Official (DSO) in the international office of your current school. They will complete the lower half of the form. 
c. Arrange for the DSO to submit the form to BYU International Student and Scholar Services in one of the following ways: Fax, 801-422-0644 or email,
d. Request to have your SEVIS record sent to BYU.

Once all enrollment requirements are completed, BYU International Student and Scholar Services will prepare your Form I-20 and release your registration holds.

Please contact International Student and Scholar Services for further instructions: Phone, 801-422-2695 or email,

You must submit all enrollment requirements by the following deadlines:

Admitted Spring: March 15
Admitted Summer: May 1
Admitted Fall: July 15
Admitted Winter: November 15

Note: If you do not complete your enrollment requirements by the deadlines listed above you will not receive a Form I-20 or be able to register, and you may have your admission decision rescinded.

Legal Documentation (Visa)

International students are required to obtain a student visa before entering the U.S. to study. Before obtaining a visa you will need to pay the required SEVIS fee. Make sure you keep your proof of payment with your immigration papers. Click here to learn more about getting a visa or about paying the SEVIS fee.

Note: Some exceptions to the visa policy exist for students who are Canadian citizens entering the U.S. from the Western Hemisphere. Click here for more information.

How To BYU

The Office of First-Year Experience is dedicated to help you get the most out of your first year at BYU. They provide your first-year peer mentor, new student orientation, newsletters, and information about succeeding as a new student. 

"How to BYU" is a website that provides a guide to what first-year students need to know. It will help you learn more information about housing and transportation, student life, first-year mentoring, and more.

Click the do it button on 'How to BYU' to start learning the ropes at BYU.

Register for Classes

Note: There are potentially three holds on your account that will prevent registration. You will not be able to register until you have completed the applicable enrollment requirements: pay the $4000 USD International Student Deposit, verify finances, and, if applicable, submit the I-20 Transfer Request Form from your current US school.

International students are required by US immigration law to maintain full-time enrollment (12 credit hours per semester or 6 credit hours per term).

The OneStop 'Register for Classes' checklist gives you quick links to the current University class schedule so you can see what classes are offered. It also helps you navigate BYU's MyMAP system so you can easily plan, organize and register for classes. Click the 'Register for Classes' checklist task below to go straight to the checklist.

If you need help choosing a major, the OneStop 'Choose A Major' checklist will link you to resources on campus that can help you make your decision.

  • When you’re ready to choose, you'll need to contact your college advisement center to officially declare a major. Click the visit it link on the 'Find Academic Advisement' task below to find your advisement center.

Transferring Credit

When you applied to BYU you submitted all credit earned from non-U.S. schools to IERF ( or WES ( These companies evaluated your work and recommended credit that may be transferable. 

If you have completed additional work since being accepted to BYU, make sure you submit a final transcript to IERF or WES for evaluation. 

Now that you are admitted, it may be helpful to provide course syllabi (translated, if necessary) to your major's Academic Advisement Center to see if your transfer credit will fill a major requirement.  If you have questions about your transfer work and fulfilling core requirements, contact the Transfer Evaluation Office (801) 422-8522.

Tuberculosis (TB) Test

If you have lived outside of the United States or Canada for six months or more within the last five years, you are required by Utah state law to have a tuberculosis skin test.

Failure to comply with this Utah State Law by the first day of classes will result in a TB hold being placed on your record. This hold prevents you from changing classes and registering for future semesters. Ultimately, failure to comply with this requirement may result in you being withdrawn from the University. If you are an international student, your student visa status may be terminated. If you have any questions, please call (801) 422-5134 or (801) 422-7711.

You can set up an appointment to have the TB test by calling the Student Health Center at (801) 422-2771. A small fee will be charged for the test. The county health department can also administer the test for a minimal fee. You will need to fax appropriate documentation to BYU Medical Records at (801) 422-0761. Contact the BYU Student Health Center for more information and questions.

Tuition Costs

The cost of tuition for undergraduate students is as follows:

Fall/Winter 2017-2018 Costs
Spring/Summer 2018 Costs
Credit HoursLDSNon-LDS
Credit HoursLDSNon-LDS
12.0 +$2,730$5,460
6.0 +$1,365$2,730
9.0 - 11.5$2,594$5,188
4.5 - 5.5$1,297$2,594
0.5 - 8.5 $286/credit $572/credit
0.5 - 4.0 $286/credit $572/credit

Tuition deadline: 7 calendar days before classes start. Failure to pay by the tuition deadline will result in a hold being placed on your registration. If tuition is not paid by the add/drop deadline (final tuition deadline), all classes may be dropped.

Preferred method of payment: online e-payment (e-check or credit card).


Single undergraduate students are required to live either in on-campus housing or in BYU contracted off-campus housing.

On-Campus Housing

Visit the On-Campus Housing website for more information about on-campus living units for single students or those with a family. Click here for information about moving into on-campus housing.

Payments for your on-campus housing can be made online through My Financial Center.

Off-Campus Housing

The Off-Campus Housing Office has a vacancy listings website to help you in your search for BYU contracted housing. You may also be interested in checking and/or Craigslist for other available housing options near BYU. Remember, if you're a single undergraduate student your off-campus housing choice has to be BYU contracted. Visit the Off-Campus Housing website for contact information.

If you choose to live in non-BYU contracted housing, you are required to submit an Off-Campus Housing waiver (or you'll be subject to a fee). Click here to learn more about the waiver. 

Update Your Personal Information

If you decide to live in off-campus housing you are required to update or confirm your residential address each semester. When you make your housing choice, click the do it link on the 'Update My Personal Information' task below to update your residential address. Failure to complete this requirement will result in a non-compliance fee.

Meal Plans

BYU Meal Plans make it easier for you to save time and money by offering a convenient and affordable selection of meals.  All students, not just freshmen, can use a meal plan. Check out The Commons at the Cannon Center, the Cougareat, any of the four BYU Creamery locations, or many other dining options around campus.  For specifics about the dining options, click here.

Payments for your on-campus housing and meal plans can be made online through My Financial Center.

Maintain Lawful Status

Read through the International Student and Scholar Services webpage for each of the following visa types to learn more about maintaining your legal status.  If you have further questions, contact International Student and Scholar Services. 

F-1 Students

F-2 Dependents

J-1 Students

J-2 Dependents

Academic Advisement

As an international student, you need to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours each fall and winter semester to keep your legal status. You are required to enroll full-time for two consecutive semesters before taking a vacation. If winter semester is your first semester at school, you will also be required to enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours both spring and summer your first year.

  • If you have decided on a major, meet with your college advisement center for help planning a class schedule that will help you be successful.  Click the do it link on the 'Find Academic Advisement' task below for a list of college advisement centers and contact info.
  • If you haven't selected a major yet, visit the University Advisement Center for help planning your classes and selecting a major. Click the visit it link on the 'University Advisement Center' task below to go to their website.

Note: It is important to maintain your status as a full-time student. If you choose to drop a class with a W (withdrawal), the credit hours no longer count toward your semester registration and you may no longer be considered a full-time student. Check with the International Student and Scholar Services office before dropping or not attending classes.

Mandatory Check-In

You will have to check-in at International Student and Scholar Services upon your arrival to campus in order to have your SEVIS record activated.

Click here ​to learn more about what you need to bring to mandatory check-in.

Mandatory Orientation

You need to be in the country by the date of New Student Orientation (NSO) for the semester/term to which you were admitted (this will also be the entry date listed on your I-20 form). Please be aware that there is a session specifically designed for international students that you will be required to attend.

Click here to learn more about the required international student orientation meeting. 

Click the do it link on the 'Register for New Student Orientation' task below to register for the university NSO.

Register for International Student Orientation Class

When registration becomes available, you will need to register for Student Development 120.

STDEV 120 is designed to help you adjust to the academic, cultural, and regulatory environment at BYU.  This course will cover these basics:

  • American education system
  • Adaptation and acculturation to the American, religious, and academic cultures at BYU
  • Regulations required to maintain F-1 visa status
    • Practical Training (both Curricular and Optional)
    • On-campus work authorization
    • Enrollment and academic standing requirements
    • Mandatory status updates

Additionally, this course will give you a chance to meet other international students, connect with the International Student and Scholar Services Office, and have a lot of fun!

Click on the tools below to find out more about registering for classes.

Account Permissions (Guest Access)

We recommend each student manage their own student account but understand there are cases where it is necessary for a parent, spouse or other third-party to access information or complete transactions on your behalf. 

Guest Access allows you to give another person access to your BYU account. You can grant access to selected accounts including your Academic, Financial, and Personal accounts. Additionally, you can establish approved modes of access, including online or "Web access" and/or "Telephone/In-person access."

Note: we will not discuss your account or records with your parent, spouse or other third party unless Guest Access is granted.

Click the do it button on the "Guest Access: Account Permissions" task to set up or use Guest Access.


Scholarship Notification

New freshman international students are automatically considered for BYU academic scholarships when you submit your admission application. See the notification deadlines for scholarships here:

Admitted Semester/TermScholarship Notification
Spring, Summer, FallEnd of April

Scholarship Criteria

For academic scholarships, each new freshman is considered upon admission to the university; the unweighted GPA and highest ACT/SAT composite score (submitted by the deadline) comprise the scholarship criteria. For further clarification, see the New Freshman Scholarships website. Private scholarships and many departmental scholarships (fine arts, athletics, etc.) have specialized criteria. 

Transfer students are not eligible for academic scholarships when they first come to BYU. Transfer students can apply for academic scholarships as continuing students after having completed at least one full enrollment (12 credit hours). For more information, see the Transfer Student Scholarships website.

Off-Campus Scholarships

If you have been awarded an off-campus scholarship, the scholarship granting organization will generally send the money directly to BYU. The average processing time is 2-3 weeks from the date the funds are mailed to BYU. To ensure timely processing of funds, please send funds at least one month prior to the start of the semester. Funds are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.  

Employment, Taxes, and Travel


Depending on your visa type, you may be eligible for employment at an on-campus job. You may also be eligible to work off-campus, but only after obtaining employment authorization from International Student and Scholar Services. Click each link below to learn more about employment. 


You are required to file tax forms every year, even if you aren't employed at all during that year. View the tax information page on the International Student and Scholar Services website for more information.


If you decide to travel outside the United States while you're at school, contact the International Student and Scholar Services office (801) 422-2695 to get your Form I-20 endorsed. If your Form I-20 is not endorsed, you may not be able to return to the United States to continue your schooling.

Click the links below for more information about traveling regulations and restrictions. If you have any questions, contact International Student and Scholar Services (801) 422-2695.

Waive or Pay for Student Health Plan

Students enrolled 3/4 time or more (9 semester credits/4.5 term credits) are required to have health insurance coverage year-round.  You are automatically enrolled in BYU's Student Health Plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. Private insurance plans from companies outside the United States will not be accepted. However, if you have your own ACA compliant health insurance from a United States-based insurance company you will need to waive the health plan online to avoid paying for the BYU Student Health Plan.  Click the Do It link on the 'Enroll in or Waive the Student Health Plan' task below to waive the BYU Student Health Plan. 

New students coming for the fall semester can waive the BYU student health plan at the beginning of August. Those coming for winter, spring or summer semester will have access to waive the plan approximately 1 month prior to classes starting. The deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. 

Tip: you will need to re-waive the Student Health Plan every fall semester by the add/drop deadline to avoid be charged. 

Enroll: If you choose to use the BYU Student Health Plan, stay current on your monthly payments through My Financial Center. The BYU Student Health Plan is known for the quality and quantity of services available at very affordable rates.

Keep in mind:

  • In order to waive the BYU Student Health Plan your personal insurance needs to be U.S. based.
  • You are required to have health coverage year-round; if you have health coverage when you go home for the summer, remember to waive the plan before you leave so you don't get charged for it while you're home.

Learn About My Financial Center

My Financial Center is where you go to do just about everything related to your BYU finances, such as paying tuition and charges on your student account, and applying for financial aid and scholarships, etc.

Check your financial YMessages and required tasks in My Financial Center regularly for important information about your student account.

Learn more about My Financial Center:

To learn how to make a payment using My Financial Center, watch this video:

Communication with BYU (YMessage)

YMessage is the system that many BYU offices use to communicate with you about secure information.  This is where you will receive important notifications and can discuss personal items regarding your registration, academic record and financial account which can't be answered through regular email. You can also initiate a question by sending a new message. You will be prompted to select a topic, which will route your message to the most appropriate BYU office. Take a tour of your YMessage account here.

You will be notified through your email account when new items are available in YMessage for you to view. Click the do it link on the 'Update My Personal Information' task to confirm or update the email address you have provided the University.

Academic Honesty Policy and Honor Code

As a BYU student you should seek to be totally honest in your dealings with others. You should complete and be evaluated on your own work. You should avoid academic dishonesty and misconduct in all its forms, including but not limited to plagiarism, fabrication or falsification, cheating, and other academic misconduct.

Click here to review the Academic Honesty Policy and here to review the Honor Code. For ecclesiastical endorsement questions, and questions or reports about honor code violations, visit the Honor Code Office.