Just Admitted Transfer Student Checklist

BYU OneStop is your sidekick for managing Financial Aid, Scholarships, Admissions, Registration, and other student services. If you are a newly admitted student this checklist will help you get started at BYU. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to never miss a deadline.

Accept or Decline Admission

As a new student, you must indicate your intention to accept or decline admission by the commitment deadline.

You must attend the semester or term for which you have been admitted. Failure to do so will result in a loss of registration eligibility, meaning that you will need to reapply. 

Exception: if you are unable to attend the semester you've been admitted due to a mission call, read the Missionary Deferment item in this checklist.Accept or Decline Admission

Apply for a Missionary Deferment

If you want to defer your enrollment while serving an LDS mission, you must complete the online missionary deferment.

See the Missionary Checklist for more details.Mission Deferment

Complete the Financial Responsibility Declaration

Before you register for classes you must accept full responsibility to pay all tuition, fees, and associated costs while enrolled at BYU. Once you have agreed to the declaration that hold will be lifted.Financial Responsibility Declaration

Submit Official High School Transcript

If you had less than 24 college credit hours when you submitted your application then BYU must receive an official high school transcript before you can register for classes. This allows us to validate that you self-reported grades accurately (see note below). If you were not required to enter high school grades in your application, then you do not need to submit a high school transcript.

Transcripts sent before decisions were announced are not valid. 

Submit your official transcript:

  • Electronically (via Parchment Exchange, National Transcript Center, or National Student Clearinghouse)
  • Hand-deliver in an officially sealed envelope to:
    • BYU OneStop, D-155 ASB (Abraham Smoot Building Lobby)
  • Mailed by your high school in an officially sealed envelope to:
    • CES Admission Processing
      A-41 ASB
      Provo, UT 84602

If your transcript does not match the grades you self-reported in the application your offer of admission may be rescinded.

Note: You do not need to send an official transcript if during the application process you electronically retrieved your accurate high school work using a Utah SSID - or - If your high school or secondary education was all international and you submitted your high school transcript through IERF or WES.

Submit Updated College Transcripts

If you received any college credit that was not included on the college transcript you sent to BYU when you applied, you will need to submit an updated transcript so your credit can be added. This also applies to concurrent or dual enrollment. Transcript Submission
For more information, see Transfer Evaluation on the Registrar's website.

Set Up Guest Access

We recommend that students manage their own student account but understand there are cases where it is necessary for a parent, spouse or other third-party to access information or complete transactions on your behalf. Guest Access allows you to give another person access to your BYU account.Guest Access

Explore "How to BYU"

"How to BYU" is your friendly guide to campus resources and student life. It will help you learn more information about housing, transportation, dining, first steps to academics, first-year mentoring, and more. How to BYU
The Office of First-Year Experience is dedicated to help you get the most out of your first year at BYU. They provide you a first-year peer mentor, new student orientation, newsletters, information about succeeding as a new student, and Mentored Courses. First-Year Mentoring

Message Us with YMessage

YMessage is a secure communication system that many BYU offices use to communicate with you. YMessage is available for you to receive and send messages about topics pertaining to your student record. Since it is secure we can send personal information which we don't through regular email because of student privacy laws.YMessage

Register for Classes

Use MyMAP, our registration system, to help you plan, organize, and register for classes. You will be given a randomly assigned date that you can begin registering; which is called a priority registration date. Go to the Register tab to see your date. For more, see our Registering for Classes Checklist.MyMAP

Tools to help you decide which classes you should take include the University Catalog, the Class Schedule, the University Core (GE) requirements, and your academic advisor. Academic Advisement

Learn About My Financial Center

My Financial Center is the system where you pay tuition and charges, manage your financial aid and scholarships, and find important alerts about your student account. My Financial Center Video

Pay for School

Tuition is due seven calendar days before the first day of class. Pay on time or you will get a hold placed on your account and your classes may be dropped.Tuition Costs and Policies

If you are interested in applying for Federal Financial Aid (loans and grants) you will need to submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).Financial Aid Checklist


If you are a transfer student you are not eligible to be considered for academic scholarships until after you have completed 12 credit hours at BYU as a day-continuing student. There are a few non-academic, need-based and private scholarships for some transfer students to be considered for. Those that completed the scholarship application and FAFSA by August 1 will be notified of scholarship decisions through YMessage

If you have been awarded an off-campus scholarship or have a 529 plan, have the granting organization send the money directly to BYU. It takes 2-3 weeks to process funds mailed to BYU. Off-Campus Scholarships

Find Housing

Finding a place to live near campus is important. You are encouraged to live on campus for your first year. Some on-campus housing options may require you to have a meal plan. Meal plans may make it easier for you by saving time and/or money.

To accommodate returning missionaries, there are communities for students who are 19 or older. There are also many contracted apartments close to campus.On-Campus HousingOff-Campus HousingMeal Plans

Register for Transfer Student Orientation

Transfer Student Orientation is the first event held for you when you arrive on campus. Meet new people and have fun while attending presentations and activities specifically for transfer students. We’re confident you’ll come away from the experience feeling like an important part of the BYU community. Transfer Student Orientation

Enroll in or Waive Student Health Plan

Students enrolled 3/4 time or more (9 semester credits/4.5 term credits) are required to have health insurance coverage year-round. You are automatically enrolled in BYU's Student Health Plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. You will have access to waive the plan about 1 month before classes start. This is a yearly process and the deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. Student Health Plan

Tuberculosis (TB) Test

If you've lived outside of the U.S. or Canada for six months or more within the last five years, you are required to have a tuberculosis skin test. If you don't comply by the first day of classes a TB hold will be placed on your record. If you're an international student, your student visa status may be terminated. If you have any questions, please call 801-422-5134 or 801-422-7711.

Review the Academic Honesty Policy and Honor Code

As a BYU student you should seek to be totally honest in your dealings with others. You should complete and be evaluated on your own work. You should avoid academic dishonesty and misconduct in all its forms, including but not limited to plagiarism, fabrication or falsification, cheating, and other academic misconduct.

For ecclesiastical endorsement questions, and questions or reports about honor code violations, visit the Honor Code Office. Academic Honesty Policy Honor Code