Whether you just got engaged or you are already married, there are items you will want to consider while attending BYU.

If you are logged in, you can click the white circle on the right side of each tab to check the completed item off your list.

Reset Checklist

Change Marital Status

Marital status changes can easily be done online. Here's how:

Click the Do It button on the "Change Marital Status" task to log in to your personal information on myBYU. Change the marital status drop-down box in the first section of the page to reflect your current marital status. Click "OK" confirming your true and legal status, and then click "Save Changes."

If you would rather change your marital status in person, by mail or by fax, learn how to do it here.

If you would like to grant your spouse Guest Access, click here. Granting guest access can allow your spouse to speak with BYU in your behalf.

For information about how getting married can affect your federal financial aid, click here

Change Name

In order to change your name on BYU records for any reason your signature and certain documentation is required. This means name change requests have to be done in person at the Records Office in B-150 ASB.

Click the Do It button on the 'Change Name' task for a list of acceptable forms of documentation and other name change instructions. If you have questions, contact the Records Office at (801) 422-2631.

Note: Students who change their name can get a new ID card with the new name free of charge, IF the old card is turned in to the ID center. Click here for more information.

Account Permissions (Guest Access)

We recommend that each student manages their own student account but understand there are cases where it is necessary for a parent, spouse or other third-party to access information or complete transactions on your behalf. 

Guest Access allows you to give another person access to your BYU account. You can grant access to selected accounts including your Academic, Financial, and Personal accounts. Additionally, you can establish approved modes of access, including online or "Web access" and/or "Telephone/In-person access".

Note: we will not discuss your account or records with your parent, spouse or other third party unless Guest Access is granted.

Granting Access

1. The person you want to have access to your account is required to have their own Net ID.

  • Click to create a Net ID.

    • (Tip: Make sure you are not logged in to myBYU if your delegate is creating a Net ID on your computer. You have to log out first in order for this to work.)

2. Go to guestaccess.byu.edu to access Guest Access and continue through the screens as prompted.

  • You will be able to choose which areas your delegate should have access to, and whether they should have web access and/or telephone and in person access.
  • When access has been granted your delegate will receive an email that requires him/her to accept the invitation and create a security phrase.

3. Your designated guest will receive an email and must follow all the instructions provided to set up a Telephone Access Phrase.

  • Guests will need to use this phrase every time they call us to get help on your account and information.

You can view the names of people who have access to your account in My Guests on guestaccess.byu.edu.

Using Guest Access

Once Guest Access has been granted, you can go to guestaccess.byu.edu to access the account you have been granted Guest Access for. From this page, you can access important aspects of the account which may include registration through MyMAP, My Financial Center, financial holds, tax information, personal contact information, or many other things.

In addition to online access, if you were granted Telephone/In-Person Access, you can get help with the account you have access to. You can either come in to OneStop or call us with questions you may have. If you need to contact us over the phone, make sure you know the Telephone Access Phrase that is listed on guestaccess.byu.edu.

Click the Do It button to set up or use Guest Access.

Financial Aid

OneStop offers a Financial Aid Checklist to walk you through applying for financial aid, and can answer frequently asked questions you may have. Click the Do It link on the 'Financial Aid Checklist' task below to get started.

Changing your marital status on FAFSA can influence how much aid you are eligible for, for better or for worse. We strongly advise you to consider your options carefully before filing your FAFSA or making any changes. The FAFSA4caster can help you determine if you should apply before or after your wedding.

If you would like to meet with a OneStop Counselor, to ask questions and/or determine eligibility, you may schedule an appointment by calling (801) 422-4104.

Student Health Plan

Students enrolled 3/4 time or more (9 semester credits/4.5 term credits) are required to have health insurance coverage year-round.  You are automatically enrolled in BYU's Student Health Plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. Private insurance plans from companies outside the United States will not be accepted. However, if you have your own ACA compliant health insurance from a United States-based insurance company you will need to waive the health plan online to avoid paying for the BYU Student Health Plan.  Click the Do It link on the 'Enroll in or Waive the Student Health Plan' task below to waive the BYU Student Health Plan. 

New students coming for the fall semester can waive the BYU student health plan at the beginning of August. Those coming for winter, spring or summer semester will have access to waive the plan approximately 1 month prior to classes starting. The deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. 

Tip: you will need to re-waive the Student Health Plan every fall semester by the add/drop deadline to avoid be charged. 

If you wish to add your spouse or dependents to the BYU Student Health Plan, choose the Married with Dependents plan. To enroll your family members, contact the Student Health Plan Office at (801) 422-2661 prior to the semester add/drop deadline. The first payment deadline is by the semester add/drop deadline.

You might be interested to know that the Student Health Center offers premarital classes that address anatomical, physiological and emotional questions you may have about marriage. To see a schedule of class offerings click here.


BYU's On Campus Housing and Off Campus Housing offices are here to help you and your new spouse find the perfect place to live.

Wymount Terrace is the only on-campus married student housing at BYU. The amenities, location, and living environment make Wymount Terrace Student Family Housing a convenient and attractive choice for housing. Student Family Housing is offered to most BYU students with families (spouses and/or children). You can view posted vacancies on the Family Housing website.

There are plenty of off-campus married housing options to choose from that are close to BYU.  The Off Campus Housing Office has vacancy listings website to help you in your search. You may also be interested in checking KSL.com/classifieds and/or Craigslist for other available housing options near BYU.

Tip: When you make your housing choice, click the do it link on the 'update my personal information' task below to update your residential address (this is required each semester).