A tax return transcript is an official tax document that shows most line items from your tax return. Students who are selected for verification during the financial aid process may be required to submit a tax return transcript to BYU before financial aid money can apply to charges on the student account.
- Before you request a transcript, see if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA. If eligible, this would save you from having to request a transcript.
- You can request a free electronic PDF tax return transcript online through irs.gov (click the do it button).
- You also have the option of requesting the transcript to be delivered by mail. If you can, we recommend choosing the electronic PDF option because it means you will get the document immediately.
Click the do it button to begin ordering your tax return transcript.
Submitting the Document
You can submit your tax return transcript to BYU OneStop without even coming into our office.
- Log in to YMessage (our secure messaging system) with your Net ID and password and simply attach your electronic PDF transcript to a new message. Please include your name and BYU ID number.
- If you received a copy by mail, write your BYU ID number on each page (front and back), then scan each page (front and back), and attach the document to a new message in YMessage.
- You can also submit your transcripts in person to OneStop Student Services (D-155 ASB - click here for our hours), but make sure you turn in a COPY and that you keep the original for your records.