Parent of a Missionary Checklist

After your student has been admitted they may decide to serve a mission or are currently serving a mission. This may leave you to prepare them to come to BYU when they return. No need to worry! This checklist will guide you through important steps to take as a parent to prepare a returning missionary for their first (or returning) semester at BYU.

Guest Access: Act on Behalf of your Student

In order for you or someone other than the student to access information or talk to BYU about their account, you have to be granted Guest Access. BYU will not talk to you as a parent, or other third party, about your student's account unless Guest Access is granted.

Once Guest Access has been granted, you can go to to access the account you have been granted Guest Access for. In addition to online access, if you were granted Telephone/In-Person Access, you can get help with the account you have access to. If you need to contact us over the phone, make sure you know the Telephone Access Phrase that is listed on About Guest Access

Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Returning missionaries are required to have an updated Ecclesiastical Endorsement before they can begin registering for classesYour student should be the one to initiate the ecclesiastical endorsement process for their mission president to complete by following these steps:

  1. Go to and log in using their own Net ID and password
  2. Select "Student"
  3. Select "Missionary/Other"
  4. Select "I am currently serving a mission and will be attending or applying to a CES school"
  5. Your student will then select their mission and mission president*
  6. They will submit the form, then contact their mission president and ask him to complete and submit their endorsement on the endorsement website (

*If your student has recently returned from completing a mission without completing their endorsement, they will select their ward on the endorsement website instead. They are then required to meet with their bishop AND a member of the stake presidency. The stake presidency member will submit the final endorsement to BYU.Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Registering for Classes

Students will be assigned a priority registration date when they can sign up for classes. To find out when your student can begin registering for classes you can either view general dates and deadlines information or find it on MyMAP (through Guest Access).When to Register

If your missionary is on their mission during the time of their priority registration, you can register for classes through guest access in behalf of the student. To do so, go to the "registration (MyMAP)" tab of the Academic section of your guest access account. 

Creating a Class Schedule

Students have two areas from which they can choose classes: General Education/Religion (CORE) classes and Major classes. Students should consult the Major Academic Plan (MAP) for their major to see (1) which courses are suggested or required, and (2) what order is recommended for those courses. Another great resource for class selection is consulting an Academic Advisement Center.

Academic Advisement
First-year freshmen are expected to complete the First-Year Writing requirement and take at least one course towards the American Heritage requirement during their first year at BYU. Additionally, they are also expected to take one religion course each semester. 

It is recommended that freshmen take 12-14 credits per semester, but not more, because there is already so much for them to adjust to. Enrollment in 14 credits per semester is required for international students and most scholarship recipients.

Housing for Returned Missionaries

Single undergraduate students are required to live either in on-campus housing or in BYU contracted off-campus housing. All single undergraduate students not living in on-campus housing are required to live in BYU contracted off-campus housing. Single undergraduate students who do not live in BYU contracted housing will be subject to noncompliance fees.  

If your student is going to live at home or with family, they are required to submit a Declaration Waiver.On-Campus Housing
*Payments for on-campus housing can be made online through My Financial Center.Off-Campus Housing

*Once the semester begins, your student will need to update their residential address using the Contracted Housing Search.  For help go to How to Avoid the $25 Fee

Financial Aid

If your student attended BYU before serving a mission and has a loan, please read this information carefully to ensure they are working with their lender on a repayment plan. The BYU missionary deferment is for deferring admission and BYU scholarships only. Please be sure your student does not go into default on their student loans while serving a mission. Have your student contact their lender directly before leaving on their mission to make arrangements for loan repayment. Lender information can be found here.

If your student is interested in applying for federal financial aid (Pell grants and loans) for the semester they return they will need to submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). FAFSA

If your student has entered repayment on a student loan or has a loan that is in forbearance, once they are registered for classes their loan servicer will be notified and the repayment of their loan should end automatically (if enrolled at least half-time).

  • If they want to contact their loan servicer for any reason, they can find contact information by logging into
  • The loan servicer may ask for a verification of enrollment. This can be obtained by calling the Registrar's Office (801-422-2631).


If your student deferred any scholarships from before their mission, the scholarship money will apply to their student account automatically if they register in the minimum required credit hours.

Returning missionaries can apply for scholarships beginning with the term/semester they are returning. They must submit the online scholarship application by the appropriate deadline to be considered for academic, need-based, and private scholarships.

  • There are no exceptions to deadlines, even if your student is still on their mission. 
  • If your student applies for need-based scholarships they are also required to submit the FAFSA by the application deadline. (OneStop Financial Aid Checklist).

Scholarship Application

To search departmental scholarships, contact your student's specific department directly for more information. 

Student Health Plan

Students enrolled in at least 9 semester credits/4.5 term credits are required to have health insurance coverage year-round. Students are automatically enrolled in BYU's student health plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. However, if your student has their own health insurance they will need to waive the health plan online to avoid paying for the BYU Student Health Plan. 

New students coming winter, spring or summer semester will have access to waive the plan approximately 1 month prior to classes starting. Those coming fall can waive the student health plan at the beginning of August. The deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. Enroll in or Waive Student Health Plan