Welcome home!  Now that you have returned from your mission you're probably wondering what to do next.  Read through each checklist item below for more information about returning to BYU.

Important things to remember:

  1. You must return to BYU the semester you told us you would return. If you plan to change the semester you will return to school, you must notify us in advance.
  2. An updated ecclesiastical endorsement must be submitted 4 to 6 weeks prior to your priority registration date.  You will not be able to register for classes until the endorsement has been received and processed.
  3. If you return home earlier than anticipated, please contact a OneStop counselor (801-422-7075).

If you are logged in, you can click the white circle on the right side of each tab to check the completed item off your list.

Reset Checklist

Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Returning missionaries are required to have an updated Ecclesiastical Endorsement before they can begin registering for classes.

Click the Do It link on the 'Complete Ecclesiastical Endorsement' task below to begin the process on the endorsement website.


  • If you are currently serving a mission, choose 'Missionary/Other' on the endorsement website.  Submit the form and then contact your mission president to have him complete and submit your endorsement on the endorsement website.
  • If you have recently returned from a mission, select 'Applicant' on the endorsement website. Submit the form and then contact your bishop and a member of your stake presidency to complete the endorsement.  Your bishop must complete his section before the endorsement will be forwarded to the stake presidency.  A member of the stake presidency will submit the final endorsement online. 

Contact OneStop Student Services (801-422-4104) if you experience difficulties or have questions about this process.

Deferment Change

If you would like to begin attending classes during a different semester than you originally submitted in your mission deferment, you have the option to submit a change request.

  1. Login to YMessage
  2. Click 'New Message'
  3. Select 'Missionary Deferments' as the topic of the message
  4. In the message, give us a details about which semester you were expected to return originally and which semester you would now like to return.


  • Change requests are not guaranteed, but we do the best we can to accommodate your needs.  You will receive an email (sent to the email address listed in your Personal Information on myBYU) when the change is complete.
  • Be aware that you are required to come back to BYU within the times listed below in order to avoid reapplying. You will not be allowed to change your deferment to a semester that would put you outside these parameters:

Return From MissionEnroll No Later Than
October - AprilFall Semester
May - SeptemberWinter Semester

Register for Classes

As a newly returning missionary you will not be able to register until you have a current Ecclesiastical Endorsement.  See the Ecclesiastical Endorsement tab of this checklist (first green tab at the top) for more information.

The OneStop 'Register for Classes' checklist gives you quick links to the current University class schedule so you can see what classes are offered. It also helps you navigate BYU's MyMAP system so you can easily plan, organize and register for classes. Click the 'Register for Classes' checklist task below to go straight to the checklist.

If you need help choosing a major, the OneStop 'Choose A Major' checklist will link you to resources on campus that can help you make your decision.

  • When you’re ready to choose, you'll need to contact your college advisement center to officially declare a major. Click the visit it link on the 'Find Academic Advisement' task below to find your advisement center.

Pay Tuition (and Other Charges)

Tuition deadline: 7 calendar days before classes start
Preferred method of payment: online e-payment (e-check or credit card)

  • If you don’t pay tuition by the tuition deadline a hold is placed on your registration and you cannot register for any more classes; if you don't pay by the add/drop deadline (final tuition deadline), all your classes may be dropped. Click here for the tuition deadline schedule. Click the Do It link on the 'Pay Tuition' task below to make your payment.
  • Even if you are waiting for scholarships or financial aid to come in and pay your tuition, you still need to find a way to pay by the deadline. If you don't have the money to pay tuition by the deadlines you can apply for a BYU Short-Term Loan to give yourself time to acquire the money. BYU short-term loans have an additional $20.00 processing fee, and are interest free if paid back by the deadline.

You can pay tuition, health plan charges, program fees, housing, meal plans and other miscellaneous charges online through My Financial Center. You can also see a history of charges and payments to your account. Click the Do It link on the 'Login to My Financial Center' task below.

  • Note: Avoid a processing fee of 2.0% for using a credit card by paying your charges online with a free e-check. All you need is your bank account and routing number (which you can find at the bottom of a check or by calling your bank).

Waive or Pay for Student Health Plan

Students enrolled 3/4 time or more (9 semester credits/4.5 term credits) are required to have health insurance coverage year-round.  You are automatically enrolled in BYU's Student Health Plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. Private insurance plans from companies outside the United States will not be accepted. However, if you have your own ACA compliant health insurance from a United States-based insurance company you will need to waive the health plan online to avoid paying for the BYU Student Health Plan.  Click the Do It link on the 'Enroll in or Waive the Student Health Plan' task below to waive the BYU Student Health Plan. 

New students coming for the fall semester can waive the BYU student health plan at the beginning of August. Those coming for winter, spring or summer semester will have access to waive the plan approximately 1 month prior to classes starting. The deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. 

Tip: you will need to re-waive the Student Health Plan every fall semester by the add/drop deadline to avoid be charged. 

Financial Aid

If you are interested in applying for Federal financial aid (loans and grants) you will need to submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Refer to the OneStop Financial Aid Checklist for step-by-step instructions of the application process.

If you have entered repayment on a student loan or have a loan that is in forbearance, once you register for classes your loan servicer will be notified and the repayment of your loan should end automatically (if enrolled at least half-time).

  • If you want to contact your loan servicer for any reason, you can find contact information by logging into nslds.ed.gov. You will be required to have a 4-digit FSA ID (the same ID used to sign and submit the FAFSA). 
  • The loan servicer may ask you to provide a verification of enrollment. This can be obtained by calling the Registrar's Office (801-422-2631).


Returning missionaries are automatically considered for BYU Academic scholarships; however, if you also want to be considered for private or need-based scholarships, you are required to submit the online scholarship application by March 1st. If you return beginning Winter Semester, the scholarship deadline is October 1st.

  • Click the do it button on the 'Apply for Scholarships' task below to begin the application.


  • There are no exceptions to this deadline, even if you are still on your mission. Talk to your mission president about allowing you time to submit the application. 
  • If you apply for need-based scholarships you will also be required to submit the FAFSA by March 1st. (See the OneStop Financial Aid Checklist). 
  • If you deferred any scholarships from before your mission, the scholarship money will apply to your student account automatically if you enroll in the minimum required credit hours. 

Other Scholarship Opportunities


Single undergraduate students are required to live either in on-campus housing or in BYU contracted off-campus housing.

On-Campus Housing

Visit the On-Campus Housing website for more information about on-campus living units for single students or those with a family. Click here for information about moving into on-campus housing.

Payments for your on-campus housing can be made online through My Financial Center.

Off-Campus Housing

The Off-Campus Housing Office has a vacancy listings website to help you in your search for BYU contracted housing. You may also be interested in checking KSL.com/classifieds and/or Craigslist for other available housing options near BYU. Remember, if you're a single undergraduate student your off-campus housing choice has to be BYU contracted. Visit the Off-Campus Housing website for contact information.

If you choose to live in non-BYU contracted housing, you are required to submit an Off-Campus Housing waiver (or you'll be subject to a fee). Click here to learn more about the waiver. 

Update Your Personal Information

If you decide to live in off-campus housing you are required to update or confirm your residential address each semester. When you make your housing choice, click the do it link on the 'Update My Personal Information' task below to update your residential address. Failure to complete this requirement will result in a non-compliance fee.

Update Personal Information

When you return from your mission, make sure your mailing address and email contact information are updated in your Personal Information. BYU will use the information listed there to contact you.

Click the do it link on the 'update my personal information' task below, to edit your information.

Tuberculosis (TB) Test

If you have lived outside of the United States or Canada for six months or more within the last five years, you are required by Utah state law to have a tuberculosis skin test.

Failure to comply with this Utah State Law by the first day of classes will result in a TB hold being placed on your record. This hold prevents you from changing classes and registering for future semesters. Ultimately, failure to comply with this requirement may result in you being withdrawn from the University. If you are an international student, your student visa status may be terminated. If you have any questions, please call (801) 422-5134 or (801) 422-7711.

You can set up an appointment to have the TB test by calling the Student Health Center at (801) 422-2771. A small fee will be charged for the test. The county health department can also administer the test for a minimal fee. You will need to fax appropriate documentation to BYU Medical Records at (801) 422-0761. Contact the BYU Student Health Center for more information and questions.

Language Challenge Exam

If you have returned from a foreign-speaking mission, you may be interested in taking a language challenge exam. By taking and passing one of these exams, you may fulfill some University requirements and get graded credit. In order to take the test, you will need to register for a course first. To learn about the procedure for taking a challenge exam, click Do It.