Returning Missionary Checklist

As you finish your missionary service and prepare to come to BYU, this checklist will help you know what to do next. Read through each checklist item below.

Renew your Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Returning missionaries are required to have a new ecclesiastical endorsement before they can begin registering for classes. If you are currently serving, then your mission president will complete the endorsment. If you are already home your bishop and a member of the stake presidency will need to complete the endorsement.Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Change your Deferment

If you need to begin attending classes during a different semester than you originally submitted in your mission deferment, you can return to the deferment form to change the semester you plan to attend and resubmit. 
Change Deferment Form

Register for Classes

MyMAP is the registration system to help you plan, organize, and register for classes. You will be given a randomly assigned date that you can begin registering, which is called a priority registration date. You can find out your priority registration date on MyMAP.Register on MyMAP

Language Challenge Exam

If you have returned from a foreign-speaking mission, you may be interested in taking a language challenge exam. By taking and passing one of these exams, you may fulfill some university requirements and get graded credit.Request Challenge Exam

Pay for School

Tuition is due seven calendar days before the first day of class. Pay on time or you will get a hold placed on your account and your classes may be dropped.

If you are interested in applying for federal financial aid (loans and grants) you will need to submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).Financial Aid Checklist

You can apply for scholarships beginning with the term/semester you are returning. You must submit the online scholarship application by the appropriate deadline in order to be considered for academic, need-based, and private scholarships.
Scholarship Application

Find Housing

Finding a place to live near campus is important. You are encouraged to live on campus for your first year. Some on-campus housing options may require you to have a meal plan. Meal plans may make it easier for you by saving time and/or money.

To accommodate returning missionaries, there are communities for students who are 19 or older. There are also many contracted apartments close to campus.On-Campus HousingOff-Campus HousingMeal Plans

Update Mailing Address and Email

When you return from your mission, make sure your mailing address and email contact information are updated in your Personal Information. BYU will use the information listed there to contact you.Contact Information

Tuberculosis (TB) Test

If your missionary service was outside of the United States or Canada for six months or more, you are required by Utah state law to have a tuberculosis skin test. If you don't comply by the first day of classes a TB hold will be placed on your record. If you're an international student, your student visa status may be terminated. If you have any questions or want to schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center, please call 801-422-5134 or 801-422-7711. TB Test

Enroll In or Waive Student Health Plan

Students enrolled 3/4 time or more (9 semester credits/4.5 term credits) are required to have health insurance coverage year-round. You are automatically enrolled in BYU's Student Health Plan one week before classes start if private insurance has not been reported. You will have access to waive the plan about one month before classes start. This is yearly process and the deadline to waive the BYU Student Health Plan is the semester add/drop deadline. Student Health Plan